Risk Management
Insurance For Rotary Club and District Events

 U.S Insurance is billed with dues.
 Canadian clubs are billed separately for insurance.

The U.S. Rotary Club & District Liability Insurance Program provides all U.S. Rotary and Rotaract clubs and districts with general liability and directors & officers/employment practices liability insurance coverage.

Please be advised that the U.S. Rotary Club & District Liability Insurance Program (“Program”) insurance policies have been renewed for the 1 July 2022-23 policy year, and the 2022-23 Certificate of Insurance is available on the Program website. Below is the login username and password.

All documents are updated for the 1 July 2022-23 policy year.

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
(833) 376-8279

Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., Rotary International's insurance broker, has a website featuring information about the Program and what it provides to your club or district, and below you'll find the shared credentials:

Website: rotary.ajg.com
Username: rotary@ajg.com
Password: rotarian1

Please note, for the Website and Username, that is A-J-G.

This website is only for U.S. Rotary and Rotaract club and district use. Please feel free to share the credentials with others in your club or district, but don't post them anywhere, as this is the exclusive source for all of the Program's documents, forms, and other materials.

Canadian Club and District Events

HUB International Insurance Brokers
307 Cranbrook Street North Cranbrook, BC V1C 3R4
Office: (250) 426-8261
Toll Free: (877) 426-8261
Fax: (250) 426-5056
Sharrie Paulsen, Commercial Account Associate sharrie.paulsen@huminternational.com

 Rotary International Risk Management would like to highlight the following items with regard to US Insurance Coverage:

Liquor Liability: The 2022-23 general liability insurance policy provides liquor liability coverage for bodily injury or property damage to a third party arising out of the selling or serving alcoholic beverages. If a liquor license is required, your club must obtain the license before your event in order to maintain liquor liability coverage. Apply early with your local government, as this allows time for review, as well as the possibility that your application could require revision. Please see Loss Prevention Strategies on the Program website for further information.

Waivers and Releases: When registering participants or volunteers for events such as car shows, parades, and 5K runs (et cetera), request that they sign a waiver and release agreement, commonly referred to as a waiver. Participation should be contingent upon signing your waiver, as this helps protect your club if a participant or volunteer is injured or their personal property is damaged. Your waiver should inform participants and volunteers of the risks associated with your event, and should release from liability your club, your foundation, and any other party involved in organizing it. A legal professional in your club or in your community should be able to assist with drafting your waiver. Please see Loss Prevention Strategies on the Program website for further information.

Severe Weather: The increasing prevalence of severe weather also increases the potential for bodily injury or property damage at events. Clubs often use tents for protection against inclement weather or for vendor stalls. Strong winds are capable of lifting tents or bounce houses if they are not correctly installed. In setting up tents or bounce houses, ensure that the structure is anchored to the ground and secured with heavy weights or sandbags. Also consider renting tents or bounce houses from reputable vendors that will safely install and remove the structure. Please see Loss Prevention Strategies on the Program website for further information.

Volunteers: Many clubs rely on volunteers when hosting large events. If your event utilizes volunteers, ensure that your club is properly training them and providing appropriate equipment and personal protective gear. Volunteers are expected to carry their own health insurance, as the Program does not provide accident coverage for volunteers or members injured while working on behalf of the club. Accident coverage may be purchased to cover injuries to volunteers or members, and a licensed insurance professional should be able to assist your club. Please see Loss Prevention Strategies on the Program website for further information.

Auto Survey: Risk Management is assessing the Program's exposure to auto liability and is planning to conduct a survey to determine how members use vehicles for club business. The survey will be emailed to you in September, and we would appreciate your response.

Fireworks or Pyrotechnics Displays: If your club hires a pyrotechnics vendor for a fireworks display, your club must purchase a primary general liability insurance policy with coverage limits of $5,000,000 for the fireworks display. Your club can purchase primary and excess general liability insurance policies in order to reach $5M limits (e.g., $3M primary, $2M excess).

A licensed insurance professional should be able to assist your club in purchasing general liability insurance with $5M limits.

Additionally, the pyrotechnics vendor is required to have general liability insurance with $5M limits, or the limits required by the municipality or venue, whichever is more.

The Program's general liability insurance will be excess of your club's general liability insurance in case of a catastrophic loss.

Additional Considerations:

  • Before your club signs the pyrotechnics vendor's contract, it should be reviewed by an attorney, and your club should understand the allocation of responsibilities between your club and the pyrotechnics vendor. Further, do not agree to indemnify the pyrotechnics vendor for risks beyond your club's control.
  • Insurance requirements in the pyrotechnics vendor's contract should include language that requires them to name your club as an additional insured on a primary and noncontributory basis and provide a certificate of insurance.

Risk Management must confirm that your club has purchased general liability insurance with $5M limits, so please send us your certificate of insurance a minimum of one week in advance of the fireworks display: insurance@rotary.org. Send us the pyrotechnics vendor's certificate of insurance as well. If there is a claim, this information will help us respond as quickly as possible.

Purchasing general liability insurance with $5M limits is not required of your club in the following instances:

  • If your club contributes funds to a fireworks display but does not sign the pyrotechnics vendor's contract.
  • If your club sells pre-wrapped fireworks but is not involved in detonating them.

If the municipality instead signs the pyrotechnics vendor's contract, but your club remains responsible for other parts of the event, ask if the municipality could include language that requires the pyrotechnics vendor to name your club as an additional insured and provide a certificate of insurance.


D5080 Disaster Relief Efforts
District Digest
District Events